Hello and Welcome!

Red House Books is going through a bit of a update!

I've always had a pretty clear vision of what I wanted this space to be but I've been detoured from my path by...lots and lost of other people's opinions and ways of doing things...

I'm committed to this little chunk of the interweb but I've also branched out into other places so! Now it's time to think of Red House Books as more of a hub of all things me! And Me is a hell of a lot of book love!

Stay tuned!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Monday, November 9, 2015

Book Review: The Bargaining by Carly Anne West

Genre: YA Paranormal Horror
Publication: February 2015 by Simon Pulse
Acquisition: read for free on PulseIt.com

Synopsis:
The fact that neither of her parents wants to deal with her is nothing new to Penny. She’s used to being discussed like a problem, a problem her mother has finally passed on to her father. What she hasn’t gotten used to is her stepmother…especially when she finds out that she’ll have to spend the summer with April in the remote woods of Washington to restore a broken-down old house.

Set deep in a dense forest, the old Carver House is filled with abandoned antique furniture, rich architectural details, and its own chilling past. The only respite Penny can find away from April’s renovations is in Miller, the young guy who runs the local general store. He’s her only chance at a normal, and enjoyable, summer.

But Miller has his own connection to the Carver House, and it’s one that goes beyond the mysterious tapping Penny hears at her window, the handprints she finds smudging the glass panes, and the visions of children who beckon Penny to follow them into the dark woods. Miller’s past just might threaten to become the terror of Penny’s future….
(from Goodreads)

3.5 / 5 Stars


A 'meh' read for me. I was hoping to be a bit more scared. Not like,' can't sleep clowns will eat me' scared but maybe 'jump into bed really quick after shutting the lights off' scared.

I think I hit 'oh hells no, never would I ever go into that dark scary forest by myself' scared but in the end it wasn't as satisfying as I would have liked.

I think I'm overly critical of horror stories in general and The Bargaining just didn't wow me. I do think others would enjoy it more though.

There are a lot of classic elements here - creepy house in the woods no one wants to talk about, small town full of secrets, dangerous boogie men hiding around every corner -- they all really worked well together too.

With The Bargaining, it's more about the journey not the the destination. My issues revolved around expecting the story to lead somewhere specific. There weren't any aha moments but I kept waiting for them. This took away from the overall tale for me but it was my fault as I had the wrong expectations going in.

Spooky at times but not overwhelming. Horror but not has horrific as I was expecting. Still - a good book I encourage you to try for yourself if ya horror and mystery is your thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment



Thanks a bunch for visiting :)