Hello and Welcome!

Red House Books is going through a bit of a update!

I've always had a pretty clear vision of what I wanted this space to be but I've been detoured from my path by...lots and lost of other people's opinions and ways of doing things...

I'm committed to this little chunk of the interweb but I've also branched out into other places so! Now it's time to think of Red House Books as more of a hub of all things me! And Me is a hell of a lot of book love!

Stay tuned!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Monday, October 19, 2015

Book Review: Dark Metropolis by Jaclyn Dolamore

Book #1 of the Dark Metropolis Series
Genre: YA Fantasy / Paranormal
Publication: June 2014 by Disney-Hyperion
Acquisition: Bought

Synopsis:
Cabaret meets Cassandra Clare-a haunting magical thriller set in a riveting 1930s-esque world.

Sixteen-year-old Thea Holder's mother is cursed with a spell that's driving her mad, and whenever they touch, Thea is chilled by the magic, too. With no one else to contribute, Thea must make a living for both of them in a sinister city, where danger lurks and greed rules.
Thea spends her nights waitressing at the decadent Telephone Club attending to the glitzy clientele. But when her best friend, Nan, vanishes, Thea is compelled to find her. She meets Freddy, a young, magnetic patron at the club, and he agrees to help her uncover the city's secrets-even while he hides secrets of his own.

Together, they find a whole new side of the city. Unrest is brewing behind closed doors as whispers of a gruesome magic spread. And if they're not careful, the heartless masterminds behind the growing disappearances will be after them, too.

Perfect for fans of Cassandra Clare, this is a chilling thriller with a touch of magic where the dead don't always seem to stay that way.
(from Goodreads)

5 / 5 Stars


Love!

Jaclyn Dolamore is one of my always read authors. Any books she writes - I'll read and I'll love it. I KNOW I'll love it because she is awesome :)

Dark Metropolis has a lot of elements that really apeal to me. A slightly off kilter historical aspect, magic, mystery, secrets, the dark underbelly of normal life - I love it all!

There are a lot of layers to this book and it all really worked together to draw me into the story. Very hard to put down at times.

Magic done the right way in my opinion. It always seems to me that Dolamore really understands how magic could work...if it were real.

and...

While reading Dark Metropolis, I felt like magic was real. And it was fabulous and horrifying and indicative of human nature in a very easy to visualize way that left me never wanting to leave this world she created.

Anyone who enjoys a good magical story will love this book.

Recommend to everyone? Hell yeah!

(p.s. -- for some reason I totally forgot this was book 1 and now I'm so super excited because book 2 is out and I can't wait to read the hell out of it! woo hoo!)


No comments:

Post a Comment



Thanks a bunch for visiting :)