Hello and Welcome!

Red House Books is going through a bit of a update!

I've always had a pretty clear vision of what I wanted this space to be but I've been detoured from my path by...lots and lost of other people's opinions and ways of doing things...

I'm committed to this little chunk of the interweb but I've also branched out into other places so! Now it's time to think of Red House Books as more of a hub of all things me! And Me is a hell of a lot of book love!

Stay tuned!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thursday, July 5, 2012

DEBUT FEATURE: Joanne Levy on Books and Memories


A big welcome to
Joanne Levy
whose debut novel
Small Medium at Large
released July 3rd
from Bloomsbury

After she’s hit by lightning at a wedding, twelve-year-old Lilah Bloom develops a new talent: she can hear dead people. Among them, there’s her overopinionated Bubby Dora; a prissy fashion designer; and an approval-seeking clown who livens up a séance. With Bubby Dora leading the way, these and other sweetly imperfect ghosts haunt Lilah through seventh grade, and help her face her one big fear: talking to—and possibly going to the seventh-grade dance with—her crush, Andrew Finkel. (from Goodreads)

Today she's visiting Red House Books sharing some books and memories.

What book makes you think of...your childhood?
Any of the Chronicles of Narnia books. Wow, I loved those books and read them over and over as a kid. I particularly loved Aslan and often wished I could have a lion that I could walk with, burying my hand in the fur of his mane. Dorky, I know, but those books just really spoke to me and especially the animal-lover in me.

What book makes you think of...your happiest memory?
My happiest recent memory would be getting the call from my agent to say that SMALL MEDIUM AT LARGE was going to be published, so I hope it’s not cheating to say MY book! :-D

What book makes you think of...your scariest memory?
I don’t have a lot of real life scary memories (Thankfully), but Misery by Stephen King was, by far, the scariest book I’ve ever read. When I finished it, it was about 3a.m. (it was quite a page-turner and I couldn’t put it down) and I had to sleep with the light on, something I’ve never done before or since reading it. Yikes, that was one terrifying book!


What book makes you think of...your road to publication?
The Little Engine that Could. Most definitely – I’ve had a long road to publication, complete with LOTS of steep hills, but I kept on trying and finally made it. I think I can...I think I can...And now I know I can!

What book makes you think of...your writing style? 
When I started working on writing middle grade, I read some of Phyllis Reynolds Naylor’s Alice books and loved the very witty and smart voice of Alice. I think we have similar writing styles and I can only hope that I pull off the voice of a middle-grader half as well as Ms. Reynolds Naylor does in her books.

What book makes you think of...high school?
Flowers in the Attic and the rest of the books in the V.C. Andrews series about the Dollanganger kids  – my friends and I were BIG fans back in high school (normally this would date me, but I understand the books were re-released a little while ago). But what teen wouldn’t love these dark, gothic and deliciously naughty books about children locked away in an attic together, waiting for a mean old patriarch to die? We read them over and over and my copies were very dog-eared and falling apart by the time I finished high school.

Thank you so much Joanne!

Linky Love :)

1 comment:



Thanks a bunch for visiting :)