Hello and Welcome!

Red House Books is going through a bit of a update!

I've always had a pretty clear vision of what I wanted this space to be but I've been detoured from my path by...lots and lost of other people's opinions and ways of doing things...

I'm committed to this little chunk of the interweb but I've also branched out into other places so! Now it's time to think of Red House Books as more of a hub of all things me! And Me is a hell of a lot of book love!

Stay tuned!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Book Review: The Warrior Sheep Go West by Christine and Christopher Russell

Reading Level: Middle Grade
Publication Date: August 2011
Pages: 224
Series: yes
Acquisition: received for review

Summary:
In this follow-up book to the successful The Quest of the Warrior Sheep, the herd hoofs it to Las Vegas in another epic adventure. Last time they saved the Sheep God. This time they have to save all of sheepdom. A strange monster called Red Tongue has threatened all Rams, Ewes, and Lambs, and the Warrior Sheep know it's up to them to stop him. But they have a crazy scientist following them, and Tod and Gran have been thrown in jail by an over-zealous sheriff. Can the Warriors stop the mysterious monster? (from Goodreads)

My thoughts:
What a fun book to read! Technically the second book in a series but not having read book 1, I wasn't at all confused or out of the loop having only read book 2. We are first introduced to these wacky sheep in Quest of the Warrior Sheep but in the beginning of The Warrior Sheep go West, we are quickly filled in on the personality traits and little quirks that make Jaycey, Sal, Links, Wills and Oxo so entertaining to read.

What I really liked about this book was how through a series of seemingly unrelated events these loveable sheep and their clueless human owners, travel thousands of miles together, thwart the evil plans of a mad scientist (or two) save the day and wind up back in the comfort of their English countryside - all without even realizing they were working together the whole time.

A quick read that I really think young readers would enjoy. Fun and lighthearted with a bit of mystery and suspense, The Warrior Sheep Go West is a book I would not hesitate to recommend to middle grade readers.

Although I didn't need to have read book 1 in order to read book 2, I think I'll buy myself a copy anyway to add to my home library. I can really see my daughter enjoying these stories in years to come.

Overall Rating:
4 / 5 Stars

Books in the Series:
Quest of the Warrior Sheep
The Warrior Sheep Go West

Linkage Love:
Jabberwocky / Sourcebooks
Goodreads

2 comments:

  1. I love how fun this book is! I was laughing the whole time I read it and I think readers will love how human the sheep are. It's such a cute, fun story :)

    ReplyDelete



Thanks a bunch for visiting :)