Hello and Welcome!

Red House Books is going through a bit of a update!

I've always had a pretty clear vision of what I wanted this space to be but I've been detoured from my path by...lots and lost of other people's opinions and ways of doing things...

I'm committed to this little chunk of the interweb but I've also branched out into other places so! Now it's time to think of Red House Books as more of a hub of all things me! And Me is a hell of a lot of book love!

Stay tuned!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Book Review: City of Bones by Cassandra Clare

Reading Level: Young Adult
Publication Date: March 2007
Pages: 485
Series: 1st in a series
Acquisition: bought

Summary:
When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder - much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Then the body disappears into thin air. It's hard to call the police when the murderers are invisible to everyone else and when there is nothing - not even a smear of blood - to show that a boy has died. Or was he a boy?
This is Clary's first meeting with the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons. It's also her first encounter with Jace, a Shadowhunter who looks a little like an angel and acts a lot like a jerk. Within twenty-four hours Clary is pulled into Jace's world with a vengeance, when her mother disappears and Clary herself is attacked by a demon. But why would demons be interested in ordinary mundanes like Clary and her mother? And how did Clary suddenly get the Sight? The Shadowhunters would like to know.... (from Goodreads)

My thoughts:
I might be one the only person who didn't absolutely love this book. It seems like this series is a favorite of a lot of people but while I did really enjoy the story...I can't say that it really captivated me.

I didn't like Clary much and I know that's a big reason this book didn't 'click' with me. She accepts things too easily and she never seems to ask the right questions. And I get it, Jace is sexy and annoying - but always being sexy and annoying got to me rather quickly. I loved Simon but he always got the short end of the stick.

The storyline was a little predictable but I liked the journey. No real strong feelings of love or hate for this one I guess. I did read the synopsis of the next books in the series (something I almost never do!) and I don't know that I like the turn (turns?) the romance took. Can't judge unless I actually read the rest of the series and I'm still on the fence about picking up book 2. If I had read this when it first came out I think I would have been more excited to continue the series.

Overall Rating:
3.5 / 5 Stars

Books in The Mortal Instruments Series:
#1 City of Bones
#2 City of Ashes
#3 City of Glass
#4 City of Fallen Angels
#5 City of Lost Souls (May 2012)
#6 City of Heavenly Fire (Sept 2013)

Linkage Love:
Simon and Schuster / McElderry
Author's Website
City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments #1)

4 comments:

  1. First of all, don't worry if you were blown over backwards by the book, I know people who weren't. I found it easy to go with the flow of it. Very easy, in fact. It moved along quickly and I just let myself go with it but there was something about it that nagged me. Everything seemed a bit... much? I'm not sure if this is what I'm really looking for. I know the author wrote fanfiction before and I found elements in the story that felt more like fanfiction than book and that irked me but only oce I finished the book. Needless to say, I read all the books in the series thus far and I've enjoyed the ease with which I was able to sink into them and I've tried to ignore those little nigglings in the back of my head because despite everything it is well written. Cassadra Clare has another series called the Infernal Devices and the first book was made of something that was very different from anything in the Mortal Instruments series. Maybe you should try that, I found it to be a very nice read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even though I LOVE this book, I would definitely agree with your rating - there's nothing terribly unique about it. I also agree about Simon - he's my second-favorite character and his life is kind of crappy. The romance part gets better, and because of the turn(s) it takes, Jace kind of gets over being a sexy, annoying jerk and develops a bit. I'd recommend you keep going, if only to see what all the hype is about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't worry, you're not the only one! In fact, I think I even rated it the same as you :O

    ReplyDelete
  4. I definitely understand where you're coming from! The hype just didn't live up to these books.

    ReplyDelete



Thanks a bunch for visiting :)