Hello and Welcome!

Red House Books is going through a bit of a update!

I've always had a pretty clear vision of what I wanted this space to be but I've been detoured from my path by...lots and lost of other people's opinions and ways of doing things...

I'm committed to this little chunk of the interweb but I've also branched out into other places so! Now it's time to think of Red House Books as more of a hub of all things me! And Me is a hell of a lot of book love!

Stay tuned!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Monday, July 11, 2011

Book Review: Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs

Reading Level: Young Adult
Publication Date: June 7, 2011
Pages: 352
Series: ? (I hope so!)
Acquisition: received a copy for review

Summary:
A mysterious island. An abandoned orphanage. And a strange collection of very curious photographs. It all waits to be discovered in Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children, an unforgettable novel that mixes fiction and photography in a thrilling reading experience. As our story opens, a horrific family tragedy sets sixteen-year-old Jacob journeying to a remote island off the coast of Wales, where he discovers the crumbling ruins of Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children. As Jacob explores its abandoned bedrooms and hallways, it becomes clear that the children who once lived here—one of whom was his own grandfather—were more than just peculiar. They may have been dangerous. They may have been quarantined on a desolate island for good reason. And somehow—impossible though it seems—they may still be alive. (from Goodreads)

My thoughts:
First off, you need to hold this book in your hands. I know it must sound strange but this book has a particular feel to it. It's heavy and it's sleek and it just begs to be opened and read. And once you do? You won't be disappointed.  The picture on the cover is only the beginning. Inside there is so much visually to take in that I was never left wanting.

I have a lot of love for this book. I loved the characters, I loved the mystery, I loved the pictures and I loved the….now wait...don't want to give that little tidbit away.  Let's just say that there aren't too many authors, in my opinion, that can pull off the supernatural elements that Ransom Riggs did and still keep the story real and believable. Did I mention how much I loved this book!?

The story itself is unique and boarders on the fantastical. Even before we are given a firm grasp on who and what exactly Miss Peregrine's children are there are a lot of pieces to the puzzle that we, as readers, need to put in their places. But that's the fun of it. I loved collecting all these pieces and I couldn't wait to see how they all fit together.

And that's another reason why I loved this book - all the pieces do fit together. They work with the story and I wasn't left hanging. There is more to this story to tell - I don't think we could ever know absolutely everything there is to know about these children and the world they live in. But, as a reader, I'm looking forward to more story instead of dreading it.

I'm still not sure if Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children will be a series but if there is a book 2 it will be because there needs to be a book 2. So many YA books these days are series books because series books sell. That may be the case but if Ransom writes books 2, I'm pretty sure it's going to be because he doesn't have a choice. These peculiar children will not be silenced.

Unlike any other YA paranormal / fantasy / fiction book out there. Hard to put down and visually stunning - you will not be disappointed with this book! So far, my favorite read of 2011.

Overall Rating:
5 / 5 Stars

Linkage Love:
Quirk Books
Author's Website
Goodreads

Tidbits:
*Ransom Riggs says "All the pictures in this book are authentic, vintage found photographs, and with the exception of a few that have undergone minimal postrocessing, they are all unaltered." When you see the photos for yourself, you will realize how amazing this is!

*I'm normally not a big fan of book trailers but this one captures the book perfectly!



2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad to hear that you liked this one!!! :) I feel like I should be a bit hesitant since I've heard nothing but raving reviews about it, but even if this doesn't sound like my usual book, I think I will end up liking it!

    I agree: I definitely think that this is a book I need to have an actual physical copy of. I doubt that ebook format will do the pictures justice - if they even make it in that format.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a great review Emily! I couldn't agree with you more either. There is something about this book that is just so inviting - which is strange to say considering how creepy the cover is - but I love to hold it. The weight of it and the feel is just like you describe. It makes the reader want to crack open that cover.

    And now I want to read it again to experience the fantastical, but realistic world that Ransom Riggs has created.

    ReplyDelete



Thanks a bunch for visiting :)