Hello and Welcome!

Red House Books is going through a bit of a update!

I've always had a pretty clear vision of what I wanted this space to be but I've been detoured from my path by...lots and lost of other people's opinions and ways of doing things...

I'm committed to this little chunk of the interweb but I've also branched out into other places so! Now it's time to think of Red House Books as more of a hub of all things me! And Me is a hell of a lot of book love!

Stay tuned!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Book Review: The Vespertine by Saundra Mitchell

Reading Level: Young Adult
Publication Date: March 7, 2011
Pages: 293
Series: 1st in a series
Acquisition: NetGalley

Summary:
It’s the summer of 1889, and Amelia van den Broek is new to Baltimore and eager to take in all the pleasures the city has to offer. But her gaiety is interrupted by disturbing, dreamlike visions she has only at sunset—visions that offer glimpses of the future. Soon, friends and strangers alike call on Amelia to hear her prophecies. However, a forbidden romance with Nathaniel, an artist, threatens the new life Amelia is building in Baltimore. This enigmatic young man is keeping secrets of his own—still, Amelia finds herself irrepressibly drawn to him.
When one of her darkest visions comes to pass, Amelia’s world is thrown into chaos. And those around her begin to wonder if she’s not the seer of dark portents, but the cause. (from Goodreads)

My thoughts:
A truly fascinating and magical story! Historical fiction with a touch of the paranormal - blending together perfectly!

Plain and simple, I loved this book. I was swept up in the story from page one and I was sad when it was over. I wanted more!  I couldn't stop thinking about it long after I had read the last page.

It's hard for me to do this book justice. I was so completely pulled into the story and into the world Amelia lived in. 1889 is a hard time period for my mind to visualize but Saundra painted such a perfect picture of not only the setting but of the characters. I never felt lost in this world - even when things turned upside down a bit.

Somewhat sad, but not without hope. Very easily a book that could stand on it's own but it is a part of a series so I am VERY excited and interested to see what come next for Amelia.

Also, I know this a strange thing to like about a book but there was romance (not always my favorite) BUT with NO LOVE TRIANGLES! Or squares or parallelograms or dodecahedron nonsense. Very realistic actions by very likable and realistic people (even with those tasty paranormal elements ;)

I highly recommend The Vespertine to paranormal / historic fiction / romance young adult book fans!

Overall Rating:
5 / 5 Stars

Books in the Series:
The Vespertine
The Springsweet (2012)

Linkage Love:
Houghton Mifflin
Author's Website
Goodreads

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad the Vespertine is good and there's none of that love triangle crap! I do have this on my netgalley queue as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds so good! I love that cover too :)

    ReplyDelete



Thanks a bunch for visiting :)