Hello and Welcome!

Red House Books is going through a bit of a update!

I've always had a pretty clear vision of what I wanted this space to be but I've been detoured from my path by...lots and lost of other people's opinions and ways of doing things...

I'm committed to this little chunk of the interweb but I've also branched out into other places so! Now it's time to think of Red House Books as more of a hub of all things me! And Me is a hell of a lot of book love!

Stay tuned!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Monday, April 4, 2011

Book Review: Clarity by Kim Harrington

***2011 Debut Author***

Reading Level: Young Adult
Publication Date: March 1, 2011
Pages: 242
Series: 1st in a series
Acquisition: won author marked up copy

Summary:
When you can see things others can't, where do you look for the truth?
This paranormal murder mystery will have teens reading on the edge of their seats.
Clarity "Clare" Fern sees things. Things no one else can see. Things like stolen kisses and long-buried secrets. All she has to do is touch a certain object, and the visions come to her. It's a gift.
And a curse.
When a teenage girl is found murdered, Clare's ex-boyfriend wants her to help solve the case--but Clare is still furious at the cheating jerk. Then Clare's brother--who has supernatural gifts of his own--becomes the prime suspect, and Clare can no longer look away. Teaming up with Gabriel, the smoldering son of the new detective, Clare must venture into the depths of fear, revenge, and lust in order to track the killer. But will her sight fail her just when she needs it most? (from Goodreads)

My thoughts:
I was about 12 pages into this book and I knew I was going to love it. And I was so right! Yeah! Go me! I mean, go Clarity because it's freaken awesome!

I love love love Clarity 'Clare' Fern - sassy, no nonsense, kick ass Clare. I wish she was real and I wish she was my best friend.

There really is a lot of this book to love. The setting - summer time on Cape Cod for a family of locals with unusual talents. The characters - a lot of people to find connections with, which wasn't hard since each one was so well fleshed out.  The mystery - not overly complex but not totally predictable either.

Also, for me at least, a pleasant surprise. I'm not a big fan of love triangles. I always identify and root for one guy (or girl) over the other - I guess that's the whole point. But, it's annoying sometimes. Especially when my pick doesn't 'win'. Now Clare has two very different guys vying for her attention.  And you know what? I kind of liked both of them ;)

Final verdict:
A big win for me! I pretty much liked everything about this book. The paranormal elements - Clare and her family's abilities - didn't need to be discovered or worked through. They were there from the start and they were what made Clare so unique and interesting. I loved how the mystery moved the plot along and I loved how all the pieces fit together in the end.

So very excited to see where Clare's talents and her crazy family will take her next!

Overall Rating:
5 / 5 Stars

Books in the Clarity Series:
Clarity
Perception - March 2012

Linkage Love:
Scholastic
Author's Website
Goodreads

No comments:

Post a Comment



Thanks a bunch for visiting :)