Hello and Welcome!

Red House Books is going through a bit of a update!

I've always had a pretty clear vision of what I wanted this space to be but I've been detoured from my path by...lots and lost of other people's opinions and ways of doing things...

I'm committed to this little chunk of the interweb but I've also branched out into other places so! Now it's time to think of Red House Books as more of a hub of all things me! And Me is a hell of a lot of book love!

Stay tuned!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Book Review: Angelfire by Courtney Allison Moulton

***2011 Debut Author***

Reading Level: Young Adult
Publication Date: February 2011
Pages: 464
Series: 1st in a trilogy
Acquisition: NetGalley

Summary:
When seventeen-year-old Ellie starts seeing reapers - monstrous creatures who devour humans and send their souls to Hell - she finds herself on the front lines of a supernatural war between archangels and the Fallen and faced with the possible destruction of her soul.
A mysterious boy named Will reveals she is the reincarnation of an ancient warrior, the only one capable of wielding swords of angelfire to fight the reapers, and he is an immortal sworn to protect her in battle. Now that Ellie's powers have been awakened, a powerful reaper called Bastian has come forward to challenge her. He has employed a fierce assassin to eliminate her - an assassin who has already killed her once.
While balancing her dwindling social life and reaper-hunting duties, she and Will discover Bastian is searching for a dormant creature believed to be a true soul reaper. Bastian plans to use this weapon to ignite the End of Days and to destroy Ellie's soul, ending her rebirth cycle forever. Now, she must face an army of Bastian's most frightening reapers, prevent the soul reaper from consuming her soul, and uncover the secrets of her past lives - including truths that may be too frightening to remember. (from Goodreads)

My thoughts:
Angelfire was one of those books that literally didn't leave my hands until I was finished reading it. I was captivated by the story from the very beginning and it just got better and better the more I read.

I'm a sucker for angel stories. Always have been so I was pretty sure I was going to like Angelfire.  What I wasn't expecting was the complexity of the story. Ellie's life, or I really should say, lives, lead to so much back story. So many layers to uncover and I loved how Ellie was as unaware of her past as I was. I loved the discovery of it all. Knowing there was so much more going on. It really was fascinating.

Now, I have to say, I don't often swoon over a male character in a YA book but Will? Oh my! He could protect me any day! And! It rarely happens that I find no fault in the romance aspect of a YA book but Angelfire was pretty spot on perfect to me!

Final verdict:
A refreshing YA paranormal read. Having read an e-galley, I'm very much looking forward buying a shiny copy for my shelves.

So so glad this one's the first in a trilogy! I don't think I'll ever get tired of reading about Ellie and Will. Individually, they are both strong, powerful characters. Together? They are fierce! Angelfire is a book I can see myself reading for a second time. Not many books fall into that category :)

I highly recommend  Angelfire to fans of YA paranormal stories. I think you'll be captivated as much as I was.

Overall Rating:
5 / 5 Stars

Angelfire Series:
Angelfire
Wings of the Wicked (2012)
Hymn to the Fallen (2013)

Linkage Love:
HarperTeen
Author's Website
Goodreads

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed this book too, although not as much as you did. I liked Will a lot. I liked how he let Ellie lead. Ellie annoyed me somewhat. Regardless, I loved the author's voice and the mythology was fascinating.

    ReplyDelete



Thanks a bunch for visiting :)