Hello and Welcome!

Red House Books is going through a bit of a update!

I've always had a pretty clear vision of what I wanted this space to be but I've been detoured from my path by...lots and lost of other people's opinions and ways of doing things...

I'm committed to this little chunk of the interweb but I've also branched out into other places so! Now it's time to think of Red House Books as more of a hub of all things me! And Me is a hell of a lot of book love!

Stay tuned!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Monday, April 12, 2010

Spoiler Free Review: Blood Feud by Alyxandra Harvey

 *Spoiler Free reviews are reviews of 2nd (or 3rd or 4th) books in a series with no fear of spoilers!*

Title: Blood Feud
Author: Alyxandra Harvey
Publication Date: June? 2010
Tags: vampires, family, magic, romance
Age: 12+
Pages: approx 272
Series: 2nd of The Drake Chronicles
Book Acquisition: ARC from Around the World Tours

My Rating: 5 / 5 Stars

Synopsis from Goodreads

My Review:
I have to say, when I first heard that Blood Feud would be following the story of two different characters I was a little upset. I loved Lucy and Solange and wanted more!  I really shouldn't have worried though because this book, just like Hearts at Stake, was awesome! Instead of Lucy and Solang, we get the alternating perspectives of  Logan, one of Solange's many brothers and Isabeau, a 200 year old vampire with a very interesting past.The Drake family really is unique - even among their own kind and I love them all!

We get a lot more background and history into their vampire world with Blood Feud.I found it really interesting to learn where some of the vampires in the stories came from. There were some pretty interesting tales.It was also a very well told story. The events of the book comprise only a couple of days but the story line never felt rushed.

Another thing I really liked was there even though Lucy and Solange weren't our narrators, they were still there and we still got a few tidbits about their lives and goings on. It wouldn't have made sense otherwise, since Blood Feud pretty much starts off right were Hearts at Stake ends.

I'm excited for book three. With so many characters Alyxandra really could take this series far - and I hope she does!

I recommend this series to anyone who enjoys YA vampire tales. I would also recommend it to those readers who might be turned off by all the human / vampire relationship books out there - Hearts and Stake and Blood Feud stand apart. They give us much more history and a lot less human / vampire swooning.

The Drake Chronicles:
Hearts at Stake (January 2010)
  (UK Title: My Heart Lies Bleeding)
Blood Feud (Summer 2010)
Book Three! (January 2011)

Linkage Love:
Bloomsbury Teens
Author's Website
The Drake Chronicles

Tidbits:
*It looks like both the paperback and hardcover versions will be available at the same time
*ARC lists publication date as August, Publisher's website says July but Amazon, Goodreads and the Author list it as June
*UK edition has the same name but with a different cover:

Other Reviews:
Around the World Tours review page - as each of us gets the book, reviews will be posted to the Mr. Linky on this page.

*if you would like your review added please leave me a link in the comments*

4 comments:

  1. FAB review! I'm been on a vamp diet but you make this sound awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cant WAIT to read this one - I cant wait to see where Lucy and Solange go...and 2 different narrators that sounds fun! I cant wait, wonderful review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooo I can't wait to read it!!! :-D I didn't know it was two different characters - but cool!

    ReplyDelete
  4. cant wait to hear it from nicolas point of view! am i the only one excited about that? lol

    ReplyDelete



Thanks a bunch for visiting :)