Hello and Welcome!

Red House Books is going through a bit of a update!

I've always had a pretty clear vision of what I wanted this space to be but I've been detoured from my path by...lots and lost of other people's opinions and ways of doing things...

I'm committed to this little chunk of the interweb but I've also branched out into other places so! Now it's time to think of Red House Books as more of a hub of all things me! And Me is a hell of a lot of book love!

Stay tuned!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Friday, January 15, 2010

Flashback Friday Review: Prom Dress by Lael Littke

Flashback Friday is a feature were I'll review a book that I read as a teen, reread now years later :)

Title: Prom Dress
Author: Lael Littke
Publication Date: 1989
Originally Read: circa 1989

No one who wears the dress is ever the same again. 
Robin is too poor to buy a new dress for the prom. Then she finds a perfect, beautiful dress in the attic of her mysterious employer's house. She "borrows" it to wear to the prom...and dances into her worst nightmare.
The Felicia finds the dress. The price she pays for wearing it is more than any girl should pay...
But Nicole is too smart to be caught by the dress. Isn't she? Poor Nicole!
And then there's Gabrielle, Robin's little sister. Did she find the dress? Or did the dress find Gabrielle?
Can anyone stop the fatal attraction of the...
Prom Dress?
(from back cover)

Oh my! Does anyone else remember this one? I loved it back in 1989! :)
I was very much on a horror novel kick at the time and this book was perfect. There's mystery and suspense. Tragedy and hope. Romance and hate. And you know what? Reading it again more then *gasp* 20 years later - I still kinda love it :)
It's a pretty simple read and the story itself is pretty straight forward. I had forgotten how interconnected the characters are and I totally forgot about the twist at the end!
I always thought this book would make a good cheesy horror movie. Although, if we are going by fashions of the late 80s - pretty sure the dress wouldn't stand the test of time!
I'm so glad I was able to find another copy of the original printing. There are actually quite a few out there so I guess the book isn't too popular :) It is with me though so I'm keeping mine!

As a side note, the publisher Point, which is a imprint of Scholastic, also published a bunch of R.L. Stine and Christopher Pike books back in the day - which I also love and hopefully will be reviewing in future Flashback Fridays :)

3 comments:

  1. OMG
    I think I remember this one.
    I think I also remember loving it.
    Great pick!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read this book but I read her book Lake of Secrets approximately two years ago. I liked it but didn't love it. Maybe I should try this one.

    ~Briana

    ReplyDelete
  3. Omg i totally love this book wish that my friend would return my copy to me!!!
    -L.A.M

    ReplyDelete



Thanks a bunch for visiting :)