Hello and Welcome!

Red House Books is going through a bit of a update!

I've always had a pretty clear vision of what I wanted this space to be but I've been detoured from my path by...lots and lost of other people's opinions and ways of doing things...

I'm committed to this little chunk of the interweb but I've also branched out into other places so! Now it's time to think of Red House Books as more of a hub of all things me! And Me is a hell of a lot of book love!

Stay tuned!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thursday, August 13, 2009

Book Review: Wicked Lovely: Desert Tales Vol 1 Sanctuary by Melissa Marr

Discover Melissa Marr's mesmerizing world of Faerie...
The desert is far away from the schemes of the Faerie Courts - and that's how Rika likes it. Once a mortal and now a faery, Rika seeks isolation and revels in her ability to appear invisible to humans. Then, she meets him. Artistic and kind, Jayce is the last person Rika wants to hide from.
But change is coming, challenging Rika's freedom and her new romance, as her past pursues her, even into the heart of the desert...
(Back Cover)

So, that about sums up the entire book. Not sure why Marr decided to take her Wicked Lovely series into the world of Menga. This is the first in a series? of short story supplements. Also not really sure on the time line of this one but it seems to be either somewhere between the first and second books or the second and third books. It's very short and not really much happens. You really need to have read Wicked Lovely for this short story to make sense. There really isn't any character introduction. We do learn that Rika was the Winter Queen before Donia and Keenan makes a short appearance. The artwork is pretty amazing though. Although, Keenan looked nothing like how I imagined him. In my opinion, it's not worth the $9.99 price tag. Overall, I'm not a fan but if you enjoy Wicked Lovely and happen to love Menga - you would probably like this book more then me :)
2 Stars
Harper Collins Publishers
Available Now
Young Adult Menga Fantasy


2 comments:

  1. yeah i totally agree w/ u. I felt like u HAD 2 read the books to understand the story. It was kind of confusing but the Artwork was beautiful.
    Awesome review :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't get it either. It's one thing to rehash an existing story in graphic novel format, like the Anita Blake books were done. I just can't get into manga. But yay! Wicked Lovely is going to be a movie!

    ReplyDelete



Thanks a bunch for visiting :)