Hello and Welcome!

Red House Books is going through a bit of a update!

I've always had a pretty clear vision of what I wanted this space to be but I've been detoured from my path by...lots and lost of other people's opinions and ways of doing things...

I'm committed to this little chunk of the interweb but I've also branched out into other places so! Now it's time to think of Red House Books as more of a hub of all things me! And Me is a hell of a lot of book love!

Stay tuned!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Book Review: The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

In the ruins of a place once known as North American lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. The Capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the districts in line by forcing them all to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV.
Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen, who lives alone with her mother and younger sister, regards it as a death sentence when she steps forward to take her sister's place in the Games. But Katniss has been close to death before - and survival, for her, is second nature. Without really meaning to, she becomes a contender. But if she is to win, she will have to start making choices that weigh survival aginst humanity and life against love. (dust jacket)

First off - I loved this book! So many many people have been gushing about it that honestly, I was afraid I was going to be a little disappointed. It couldn't be that good, I told myself. I was wrong. Fabulously written, with a plot line that sucks you in from page one. I literally could not put this book down until I was finished with every last fantastic morsel...and then I wanted more! I envy all of you out there who have snagged ARCs of Chasing Fire! There is so much depth to this book -- Primitive living conditions set amongst modern technology; social implications to the indifference to human life; struggle for survival against the ruling class; the power of manipulation; the power of both real and imagined love...I could go on and on but instead I'll say - READ THIS BOOK!
Seriously good - highly recommended - 5 shinning stars

5 comments:

  1. Sounds GREAT! I'm doing that for a group read but my copy still hasn't come. I'm getting worried.
    How do you get that currently reading thing??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this book too except the end. That pissed me off that it's a series.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i want to read this book soooooooo bad! ah =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was recently able to finally get my hands on this book by doing a trade with another blogger. I can't wait to read it. I have heard nothing but great things about it. Thanks for the review.

    ~Briana :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I adored this book. I can't wait to read Catching Fire.

    ReplyDelete



Thanks a bunch for visiting :)